Thursday, May 26, 2011

Welcome to my gardening journal

We have a big yard - about a third of an acre.  Maybe not big by some folks' standard, but huge for non-gardeners like my husband and I.  After three years of living here and doing little more than mowing the lawn, we've decided that this year we're going to venture boldly into our (over)developing jungle.  There's going to be a lot of trial and error, but I look forward to eating food grown in the garden, figuring out just what exactly that shrub is in the northeast corner, and generally feeling like I know how to care for the yard. 

I've read The Secret Garden dozens of times, and I've realized that pretty much everything I know about gardening I learned from Dickon.  Which is to say I know you've got to give plants some room to breathe, and a branch with a bit of green in it is "wick."  I'm sure there's a bit more to it than that, and that's what I'm here to figure out.

2 comments:

YAY! Welcome to the blogosphere. You'll enjoy it immensely I'm sure and I look forward to reading your posts :)
 
Have a wonderful time with your children in your garden, Amy! I was in mine today, with a 4-year-old granddaughter squealing, "There's dirt in my shoe! EEWW! Get It Out!," while her 6-year-old sister continued patting down dirt with her trowel even after she'd stopped watching what she was doing, putting her freshly-planted echinacea in mortal danger.

And the best part was . . . We Were Out In The Sunshine. (Between big rainstorms). And the girls want to go out there next time they come over, "To watch our plants grow."
 

Post a Comment